Saturday, August 23, 2008

From Bushel Basket to Lampstand: Blog Beginnings

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house." (Matthew 5:14-15)

BLOG? Back in 2005 I first heard that word and a tiny seed was planted. Here might be the realization of a dream: to write my way into the hearts of my sisters and brothers in faith. To journey with them on their way, with The Way: Jesus Christ. With The Word: Jesus Christ.
A way with words.

Then in February 2006 while visiting my daughter out of state, God allowed a tiny sprout to break through the ground. The night before my departure, she and I stayed up late, poring over her laptop together and rather hastily creating a blog for me. My usual computer-impaired self was overwhelmed by the many choices of templates, texts, and other tools, but my daughter guided me through as best she could. The excitement and anticipation of my new blogspot kept me wide awake all through that night. My lamp was lit!

Little did I know that upon returning home a large bushel basket awaited me. This basket, full of the cares, demands, duties, and endless details of ordinary daily life, was promptly upended and placed over my lamp. Between then and now, life just kept happening, and I never returned to my blogspot to begin writing. My password was forgotten and irretrievable. Life went on. The bushel basket stayed put.

It is now two and a half years later, and by the grace of God my heart has been freed to begin anew. Just yesterday a special young man from our parish came by to help me create a new blogspot. He only had time to help me with the bare beginnings, and after he left I was overwhelmed by the myriad complexities of templates, texts, and tools which might have daunted even the Four Evangelists if they were trying to write in this computer age! I feared I might not be able to write my first post until my blogspot was perfected, with more graphics and sidebars and links and other clever gadgets. But I have learned to listen to my inner voice, which whispers now to remind me, Less is more. So I will proceed with complete trust in the Lord as I embark into the blogosphere here on Friday, August 22nd, 2008.

My lamp is lit once again. It is not necessary that every nook and cranny of my head be swept clean and the house perfectly readied. I will not allow computer technology to become another kind of bushel basket thrown over my efforts. It is enough that my heart is ready and eager.

BLOG: Believe and Love Our God!

As the sun sets on this Feast of The Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, I end my day where I began it: outside on my backyard patio in prayer before my garden statue of Mary. The image is of Our Lady of Grace, arms extended downward and hands open in invitation and blessing. But what makes this image precious to me is the face. It is the face of a young maiden with a hint of a smile; a face full of quiet mystery and peace; a face full of compassion as well as delight; a face of innocence, yet radiant with dignity and wisdom; the face of a queen--my little Queen.

Countless images abound of Mary as Queen. Indeed, an entire litany resounds with her praise. Yes, she is Queen of heaven and earth; Queen of angels, patriarchs, apostles and confessors; Queen of all saints. Yet, like a rosebud opening to the warmth of the sun, my child's heart opens most to Mary simply as the young mother in Nazareth--my little Queen--little in her simplicity, poverty, and humility, yet powerful in her love and her intercession.

A few weeks ago, the rosebush next to the statue had put out a branch along the ground, growing toward the feet of Mary, and with a bud on its very end. This morning I noticed the bud had opened into a beautiful yellow rose. There it blossomed, right at the feet of Mary. What was even more striking was that the rose covered the head of the serpent on top of the globe Mary stands upon.
Mystical Rose, pray for us.

So, dear sisters and brothers in faith, I begin this blog under the patronage of Mary, my little Queen; as well as Holy Joseph, my dream weaver; and Mother Frances Xavier Cabrini, who continues to lead me to The Sacred Heart of Jesus and the wonders of His love. . .

May my words give light to your house, from my lampstand to yours.




No comments: